National Youth Leadership Training is an exciting, action-packed program designed by the Boy Scouts of America for councils to use in providing youth members with leadership skills and a training experience they can use in their home units. Many graduates of the course find that the skills they learned at NYLT have assisted them in other life situations demanding leadership of self and others.
NYLT is a six-day course that centers around the concepts of what a leader must BE, what he or she must KNOW, and what he or she must DO. The key elements are then taught with a clear focus on HOW TO. The skills come alive during the conference as the teams go on a Quest for the Meaning of Servant Leadership.
Content is delivered in a group and team outdoor setting at the new John P. Ward training site at Alpine Scout Camp. Indoor sessions take place in the air conditioned “smart” facilities of the Reeves Center directly across from the Ward site. An emphasis is placed on immediate application of learning in a fun environment. Interconnecting concepts and work processes are introduced early, built upon and reinforced using memory aids.
NYLT integrates the best of modern leadership theory with the traditional strengths of the Scouting experience. Through activities, presentations, challenges, discussions, and audio-visual support, NYLT participants will be engaged in a unified approach to leadership that will give them the skill and confidence to lead well.
The “secret” strength of the NYLT conference is that the course is presented by volunteer youth graduates of previous courses who have undergone rigorous training on how to teach the skills they recently learned.
You can give your boy scout, venture and sea scout the opportunity to work, live and play together as they put into action the best Scouting has to offer.
Youth Participant Requirements:
- Be a Boy Scout, Varsity Scout, Venturer or Sea Scout.
- Boy Scouts and Varsity Scouts must be at least First Class Rank and 13 years old but not more than 18 years old at start of the course July 8, 2018.
- Venturers and Sea Scouts must be at least 14 years old but not more than 21 years old at start of course July 8, 2018.
- Must hold a unit leadership position or expect to be in one in the near future.
- Have a recommendation from the Scoutmaster, or Venturing or Sea Scout Adviser.
- Have parental permission to attend.
- Agree to follow the NYLT Code of Conduct, Youth Protection Guidelines, GNYC Camp Rules, Outdoor Code and Scout Oath and Law.
- Have basic camping, cooking and hiking skills.
- Obtain and submit a standard TMR Medical Form with current physical exam upon arrival at the Conference.
- Must commit to and attend the entire course. Because of the team structure used, late arrivals and early departures are not acceptable.
Cost of Event
Base Fee = $475.00
“Early Bird” Fee = $445.00 (if fully paid May 31)
Please visit: AlpineScoutCamp.org for more information.
For more information and to register for Camperships, please visit: https://www.bsa-gnyc.org/campership
Not yet registered? Sign up below.
|NYLT Information form||Download|